Chapter Twenty One

 
 

I was only gone for maybe fifteen minutes if that! He started to do CPR on him, I got down on my knees and helped him, I waited for him to stop the abdominal thrusts then I blew hard into his mouth, I watched his chest rise and then fall, we kept doing this for several minutes, then I heard the Ambulance coming up the road, I never was so happy to hear that sound in all my life, the man told me to keep going even when they get here, and not to stop until they take over, I nodded my head then blew hard into his mouth again, I put my hand on Earls neck to feel for a pulse, I wasn’t sure if he had one but thought I felt something, the Ambulance pulled up and I heard on of the EMT’s ask what happened, then he knelt down next to me and said that he would take over, he placed one of those squeeze bags over Earls mouth and started pushing large volumes of air into his lungs, again he asked if we knew what happened, I cleared my throat and said that he had tripped and hit his head on the road, immediately he started checking his head to see how bad it was, then he asked me what were all these bandages on his neck, my heart started to race oh, I said I had noticed that he had some bad cuts on his neck so I put some bandages over them, he looked up at me, then pulled the bandages off Earls neck, blood oozed slightly out of one of the cuts and the EMT quickly applied pressure to it, he hollered back to the other EMT that was grabbing something out of the ambulance, we have sever bleeding out of the corroded artery, his voice was stern but calm, I asked him if there was anything I can do, he shook his head no, the fire fighter was still applying abdominal thrusts when the EMT asked him to stop, they looked at each other and shook their heads, then he told him I that there was no pressure on the corroded, I asked them what they are doing, he looked up at me and said there was nothing he could do, In a panic I said no this can’t be, I told him that I had thought I felt a pulse just a few minutes ago, he sat up still sitting on his knees, then he said that this man has bleed to death. Bleed to death I said, that’s crazy what do you mean bleed to death, I pointed to the small amount of blood on the ground next to Earl, I stopped the blood when he fell and there isn’t hardly any blood on the ground so how the hell are you saying he bleed to death, the EMT, pulled the rest of the bandage away from Earls neck, then pointed to a deep cut that went across Earls main artery, then looked back at me and said this was the main blood flow to this man’s body and there isn’t anything coming out of it, plus his body temperature has already dropped to 87 degrees which is a sign of no blood flow, he took his stethoscope and listen to his heart, then shook his head and said there was no heart beat, Oh my God, I couldn’t even believe this.
After about five minutes the Sheriff pulled up and walked over to where Earl was lying, he asked the EMT to give him an update to what he thought had happened, The EMT took the Sheriff by the arm and pulled him to the side, I wasn’t sure what they were talking about but they kept looking over toward me, a few minutes later the Sheriff walked over to me, then asked me what I knew about this? I shrugged my shoulders and said that Earl had hit his head on the pavement and started bleeding from his head. The Sheriff said he tripped, what do you mean he tripped? Did you see him fall, Oh my God I knew I had to chose my next words very carefully, I cleared my throat and said that Earl had been helping me off load something’s into my house, I turned back toward my house and pointed toward it, when we were finished I guess Earl was in a hurry to get back to town so he started walking back. The Sherriff stood up a little taller then asked me how Earl got out here in the first place? Oh I gave him a ride. So what you’re telling me is that you brought him out here and for some reason he wanted to walk back to town? Which is about four miles, give or take right? I shook my head yes, then he asked me if we had gotten into a argument or a disagreement about anything, No not at all I said, all we did is off load some furniture into my new house and that was it, then I told him the next thing I knew I saw him walking down the road so I jumped into my truck and tried to give him a ride back into town.
Just then the EMT came over then pulled the Sheriff over to the side again, they walked over to Earl, and I could see the EMT pointing to Earl’s neck then they both looked back over to me, the Sheriff walked back over to me and asked me what happen to Earl’s neck? I had nothing to say so I shrugged my shoulders and said I didn’t know. The next thing I know he was spinning me around and told me that I was under the rest for suspicion of murder! I struggled to turn around screaming at the top of my lungs that I would never murder anyone! He pushed me to the ground and placed his knee in the back of my neck, then told me not to move, I kept trying to get up then I felt a hard thump on the back of my head, and all went dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment