Chapter Thirty Six


I just stood there wondering what the hell they were doing.  Then I heard the screams of those poor people inside.   I walked over by the door and listened closer.  I could hear screams, and what I could only imagine bones being broken.  I looked at the door thinking I should just barge in, but what could I do? Then I looked down at where the sheriff had taken off his clothes.  I noticed his gun, so I picked it up and looked it over.  I made sure I knew exactly how to shoot it.  I even took the extra clip.  I didn’t even know if I could kill them with a bullet but I had to try.  I pushed the door open and heard some noise that sickened me.  I shined the flashlight toward the noise.  They hadn’t even noticed me come in the room. They were both bent over. One was tearing the mans flesh from his legs, and the other was ripping apart the mans chest.  I pointed the gun at the head of one of them and squeezed the trigger.  Without hesitation I kept squeezing the trigger,  pointing it at one, then the other. They both slumped over the body they were feeding on.  My eyes were glued to their every movement. I quickly switched clips and walked up to them. I shined the flashlight all around the room.  I wanted to make sure there wasn’t any other of those damn things in there.  I turned back toward the two freaks and shot them both again in the head.

I slowly backed my way out of the room and this time I shut the door and bolted the locks. Once I figured I was safe, I went back up stairs and looked in every room.  I had to find the old man.  I wasn’t sure who was telling me the truth anymore.  All I did know is that there was more to this than what I had thought. There wasn’t anything downstairs so I made my way upstairs.  On the way up I took my time and at each step I stopped and listened. When I was about halfway up the steps I heard one of the steps make a funny sound.  It was different than the rest.  I remembered when I had first looked at the house I had thought there was something funny about it then. Keeping an eye forward I reached down with my hand and tapped on it then, pulled up on it slightly.  It seemed solid.  I couldn’t help but to look down at it and try and figure out just what the heck was different about it. That’s when I noticed a slight separation in the toe kick board.  I pushed on it but again nothing. Frustrated I hit the side of the tread. It moved inward toward the kick board.  I knew there was something wrong with it. I was thinking that the carpenter must have missed nailing it down, but when I pulled it back toward me it actually slid open like a drawer on a dresser.
In total amazement I stared at what was in the hidden compartment. There was a large knife and it looked like it was pure silver with a symbol of a dragon on the face of it. Lying next to that was a small stack of hand written letters and a small jar with some black stuff in it.  I laid everything on the steps above, then looked at the letters.  I could tell they had been there for quite awhile because they were written with a fountain pen. Plus, the paper was a thicker kind.  I started to read the first page.

"Years have passed and now he has turned to the flesh and souls of beyond the night. He no longer cares of who he kills. At dawns break I watched him transform into the devils form. He ripped a man from limb to limb without mercy. I am scared for our family now, even though he is part of us. I can see death awaits us.  I studied late again, hoping to figure out what drives him. The books are from a language I do not know, and fear I will not find out until it is too late."
"I locked him in the cellar last night, I tried to read a passage but it didn’t work.  It seemed only to evoke more terror in him.
I fear that my son will never be rid of what has taken his soul."
I couldn’t believe what I was reading, what the heck....

No comments:

Post a Comment