Chapter Fourteen


It felt like I had barely fallen asleep when I heard a knock at the door.  Half dazed and not really knowing where I was,  I opened my eyes, then listened.  Again I heard a soft knock on the door.  I hated to even get out of bed.  Reluctantly I crawled out from the soft covers and made my way to the door.  I opened it to find a young lady with a small cart standing there.  Before I could say a word she said,  "Good morning!  I have your breakfast for you."  I looked puzzled at what she was saying.  My voice was still scratchy from sleeping.  I cleared my throat and said, "I didn’t order any so it must be for someone else."  I smiled and was about to close the door when she said, "Oh no its our complimentary breakfast and everyone gets it." She took a few steps forward pushing the cart so I opened the door and let her in.
"Well this is nice", I said.  She smiled and headed back out the door. I lifted the lid to find a smorgasbord of different things, poached eggs,  a bowl of hot oatmeal, bacon and ham plus coffee and orange juice, and the morning paper.  I sure didn’t expect all of this but wasn’t about to complain.  I walked over to the patio door and looked outside. It was cloudy and it looked like a light drizzle was coming down.  There was a small covered deck with a table and some of those soft cushion chairs.  I grabbed my tray of goodies and stepped out to have my breakfast on the deck.  I sat down and just took in all the beauty around me.  The wind was just a breeze this morning and it must have pushed the smoke from the fire place down across the small valley.  I could smell the wood scent in the air as it drifted by. As I sipped on my morning coffee I heard a quiet rumble of thunder rolling through the mountains that surrounded me. I’m telling you what, you couldn’t have had a more peaceful feeling in the world than what I was feeling right then.  After a half hour I finished my breakfast,  then went back inside and got dressed.  It was close to check out time which was eleven o’clock so I had better get going.   I thought to myself  that this would really be a great place to bring someone special to share it with.
As I handed the key to the front desk, I told the gentleman that I thought they had a wonderful place and I would definitely stay here again. He smiled and said thank you. As I was driving away I kept thinking about that warm feeling I had.  Just the surroundings of that place were amazing.  I wanted to somehow bring that feeling into my new place.  I knew I didn’t want to change the Victorian style to the house, but I wanted to bring in a cozy kind of feeling that I got from this place.
I went through town, then turned up willow street, about a half mile before I turned onto Shallow Pine Ridge.  I noticed a large dog standing on someone’s front porch. I slowed down just a little to get a closer look. I wasn’t totally sure,  but I thought it looked like that dog the Krinkletin’s had with them. I thought to myself it must be because they had walked to my place so they had to have lived close to me. Anyway,  I had turned onto Shallow Pine Ridge and had just pulled into my driveway when suddenly I saw a black dog run from my front porch and go toward the little shed on the back part of my property.  It looked as if it was the same dog I had just seen on the front steps of who I thought was the Krinkletin’s, but that was impossible.  I watched as it stopped just for a second and look back at me, then it seemed like it had went in the back of that little shed. Great, I thought, now what? Was it a female dog that had some pups in that old shed, or was it someone’s dog that had lived here and just left it.

No comments:

Post a Comment