Chapter Seventeen


As I walked back into the house I thought I heard a noise coming from the kitchen area or down possibly in the bathroom.  God, now what? I thought.  Was whoever pulled me into the house still in here?  I wanted to say something but, well,  to be honest I was a little scared at this point.  I slowly made my way down the hallway.  I passed the bathroom but nothing was there so I kept going toward the kitchen. At the doorway I peeked my head around the corner,  but again nothing was there.   I flipped on the light then stood there for a minute listening to see if I could hear anymore sounds, but all was quiet. Just then I heard the fridge turn on.  I thought maybe that is what I had heard.  I wasn’t sure,  but now after hearing the fridge It made me think of food so I walked over and opened it up to possibly get something to eat. It was pretty much empty though. The only thing in there was some cheese, ketchup, mustard and a few sticks of butter.  I hadn’t boughten any groceries yet so it was looking pretty grim as far as getting anything to eat.  I was thirsty too so I grabbed a glass from the cupboard and went to the sink. That’s when I damn near fell over because right next to the sink was that glass again! I slowly reached over to it and picked it up. Sure enough it was cold, and it had beads of water running down the sides of it, just as if someone had just finished drinking it.  I slowly put the glass down then walked toward the small bedroom and looked inside but no one was there so I made my way into the living room.  My heart was pounding so hard I could hear it.  I felt a bead of sweat drip down my cheek and I could taste the salt as it ran into my mouth.  I looked around the room and I froze when I saw the fireplace.  Someone had lit a fire and it looked like it had been burning for a long time.  There were hot coals spread all the way across the fire box, but what made my hair stand on end was the freshly placed log that sat on top of the hot coals with not even as much as a piece of its bark being burned.  I spun around the room looking in every corner. There had to be someone there.  Finally I holler out, "WHO IS IN HERE?" Then I listene.  Again I hollered, " I KNOW SOMEONE IS HERE SO COME OUT!!!"  But again it was silent. I walked back out into the hallway, then toward the stairs that lead upstairs.  I slowly walked step by step trying to listen to every sound. There was a small bedroom just as you came to the top of the stairs. I reached in and turned on the light, then walked over to the closet and opened it, but again nothing was there.  I knew someone was there and I also knew it was only a matter of time before I would find them. I checked the other bedroom and the small bathroom but nothing. There was only one room left, it was the master bedroom at the end of the hallway, the door was closed.  I had remembered earlier that I had put my bed frame and some other things in there so I knew I wouldn’t have shut the door.
I placed my hand on the knob and slowly turned it as a haunting screech filled the room from turning the knob.   I had a bad feeling about this.  I swung open the door, then I took a couple steps back,  then waited for something to happen.  I didn’t know what to expect,  if anything but whatever was in this house had to be in this room.  I slowly moved forward then reached around the door jamb and flipped on the light. I stepped into the room. There was a large walk in closet to my right and another small one just to the side of that one.  I opened the big closet door but there wasn't anything there.  I was beyond a nervous wreck at this point because in my mind I knew something was in this one.  I grabbed the knob and slowly turned it then pulled it open fast.  That’s when all hell broke loose. All I remember after that was being knocked backwards by something and being pushed to the floor. I tried to grab at whatever it was but it slipped through my fingers. I spun around on the floor, got up and then ran out into the hallway. I hollered STOP!! , but it kept going.  I ran toward the stairs then down them.  I just caught a glimpse of what looked like a man wearing a black trench coat running out the door.  As I went by the front door I reached over to turn on the outside lights.  What I saw next was something I didn’t even want to repeat in my own head, let alone say it out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment