Chapter Twenty Four


I grabbed the blanket and turned toward the dog, as I leaped through the air and onto him.  I collapsed to the floor landing on nothing but the blanket.  Somehow I had missed him completely or so I thought.  I spun around thinking the worst. My hands were ready to try and grab his neck to hold him off any way possible, but there was nothing there.  I didn’t even hesitate.  I scooted backwards toward the fire place and grabbed the poker then jumped to my feet and waited.  I listened carefully to see if I could hear him breathe, but nothing.  I cleared my throat hard, then hollered,  "Where are you, you son of a bitch?!! " I was sweating like mad, and shaking uncontrollably.  I didn’t understand how he had gotten in here in the first place. The image of him was embedded in my mind.  His long black hair, and those black eyes staring at me as he growled that horrible growl; I really didn’t think it was a dog at all , it seemed too big for one. I thought it through, picking out every detail, from the height and size of him to his large fangs and long tail.  I think it might have been a wolf.
Waiting no more I crept toward the doorway leading out of the living room.  Every step I made seem to make the floor creak.  I stuck the poker around the corner and hollered, but nothing moved or attacked so I peeked around the corner down the hallway running back toward the kitchen, then stepped out into the hallway.  I glanced up the stairs to see if I could see him up there but nothing was there either so I took a step closer toward the kitchen. I thought about opening the door so if he wanted to get out,  there would be away for him to escape,  so I slowly walked backwards toward the door.  I reached for the knob but kept watching wildly for any movement in front of me.  As I swung the door open, my back to the door,  I heard a voice.  I didn’t even give it a second thought.   I spun around swinging the poker at what was there, my heart pounding so hard I could hear it.  To tell you the truth I don’t even think I remember seeing anything at that moment other than the vision of that thing jumping on me.  I swung wildly then I heard a man’s voice yell out  SCOTTY! Focusing on what was there I stepped back and put down the poker.  Oh my God, it was Red.  I was out of breath and shaking.  He asked me what the hell was wrong. I was at a loss for words at first, then I stepped out onto the deck and closed the door behind me. "I’m so sorry, Red." "There is a wolf in my house." His eyes narrowed and he said,  "A wolf?" "What do you mean?"  I explained to him what had happened and that I was just about to open the door to try and scare it out when he had showed up and startled me.  I told him I didn’t mean to swing at him but I didn’t know what was behind me and that I was really jumpy.
I stood there catching my breath, still telling him every detail of what happened when I noticed that his clothes were torn to shreds. He had what looked like a blood stain on his right shoulder, and his hands were all dirty.   I glanced up at him, then asked him what the hell happened to him? He stared at me with a demanding stare and told me that he needed to talk to me about something.  I asked him if he was alright and if he needed a doctor and he shook his head no.  Then he asked me if we could go inside.  I was about to open the door but then turned to him and said,  "We can’t." "That big dog or wolf or whatever the hell is still  in there!"

No comments:

Post a Comment